Monday, February 23, 2009

Linkshell... What is that?

When I started FFXI, I was completely lost. Though, I knew how to play an RPG I found myself facing the most common question: What do I need to do now?

The options were simple. Even I start to quest or I start to fight. So, I needed to talk with a Non-Player Character in order to follow the first cut scene in the game. This NPC asked me if I want to help people or kill monsters.

Usually, and this is from my personal experience, you get a better picture of any RPG when you complete some quests around town (and you can also get some Gil as a reward). So I chose to help people, but I found myself in the middle of a crossroad. Sometimes, in order to complete these quests, you need to spend some Gil or be in an specific level of experience to finish it. Boomer!!! Could any RPG be a little bit easier? Well, as you could guess I had to start killing some monsters, get some experience, level up my character and sell items in the Auction House to fill up my empty pockets. It was not a big deal until I reached level 10.

The monsters became stronger, more dangerous and harder to hit. The odds to kill them alone, fast and easy were running strongly away. The only way to stay alive it was getting involved into experience parties. From the parties I met people, from the people I got information, from the sea of thoughts I got the concept of a Linkshell.

A Linkshell is a special feature from FFXI. Inside a small shell (that you need to purchase) you can create little pearls which work as a communication device allowing the members of an online community to keep in contact with each other through the extensive world of Vana'Diel. You can chat with your friends, share information, ask for help, and set up events to do together.

Dark Army... my friends and masters

I found Siloette and Aleandro on the way from South Gustaberg to North Gustaberg. Gosh! I need to level up... Hmmm... What is that black orb over Siloette's head?

- Oh! You and Ale built an LS... Cool... Can I get a pearl, please? Thank you...

I am part of the Dark Army Linkshell now... Siloette and Aleandro are the leaders with them in the LS: Goldenkid, Ashter, Xantoro, and Evradin... I am the lowest level... Boomer!!!

- /wave Hello! Linkshell

For new players

NPC - Non-Player Character
MOB - Monster
CS - Cut Scene
XP - Experience Points
GIL - Vana'Diel Currency
PARTY - 6 players working together to overcome a stronger monster and get better xp.

No comments:

Post a Comment